Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Vomit, is it post worthy?

Grandma Kathy sure thinks so! She got a good laugh out of my story, but I tell you what, I wasn't laughing when it happened!

I had just dropped off Alaina at preschool and I was on my way home with Noah and Celeste in the backseats. Out of nowhere I think, "What's that smell? Something smells funny. What is that?" Well, I glanced at my rear view mirror and I saw Celeste looking down at her vomit laden hands perplexed at the vomit covering her, the seat belt, the car seat and the captains chair.

WHAT THE *@#^*% ?? HOW IN THE **BEEP BEEP** DID THAT JUST HAPPEN? There was no gagging, no coughing, no hacking, no "mommy my tummy hurts," no WARNING what so ever. As soon as I got home I whisked Celeste out of the car, took off her PJ's and hosed her down. Poor girl, it was only 9:15 and she was getting a cold spray, naked, outside. It was the quite the shock. After I got Celeste in the warm tub, I went outside and cleaned vomit off of the PJ's, the floor and the captains chair. I stripped the car seat covers and threw them in the washer. I spent a good hour trying to get the smell out of the seat belt. With no avail, my neighbor gave me 'Woolite for pet odors and stains' to try. Apparently my child is as stinky as a dog! The smell came right out! Finally everything was clean and it didn't smell in my van anymore!

Great story, huh? Well, the story doesn't end there....at 11:15, I headed to pick up Alaina. About a minute before reaching home I glanced back at Celeste who is now sitting in Zach's car seat. I saw the NAUSEA in her face. I pictured her stomach TURNING. She was turning PALE and little beads of SWEAT were forming on her forehead. I started yelling...."NO CELESTE, DON'T THROW UP...PLEASE DON'T THROW UP....JUST HOLD IT....WE ARE ALMOST HOME...PLEASE DON'T THROW UP....PLEASE WAIT!!!"

I panicked and drove slower (slower you say? Well, I was hoping to make her less car sick). Well, poor little Celeste covered her mouth with her hands and tried her darnedest to keep the vomit in. It lasted for about 20 seconds and then it was over...here it came again! I screeched into the driveway ( I didn't even turn off the car) and I headed to the back and watched helplessly as Celeste finished.

I glanced over at Alaina who was now dry heaving. FYI, she has a VERY sensitive gag reflex and is known for sympathy vomiting. This is me: "ALAINA, GET OUT OF THE CAR! GET OUT OF THE CAR. NOW! GET OUT!" Alaina just looked at me like, "what did I do? Why are you yelling at me?" Luckily she got out in time. I then spent another hour cleaning Zach's car seat, Alaina's car seat, the floor and the same captain chair because it was impossible to get Celeste out from the back without chucks of vomit dropping and smearing everywhere. I threw Celeste on the lawn again and she just stared at her hands like, "You failed me. It wasn't suppose to come out." I once again stripped her and hosed her down with cold water.

Once everything was clean and in order, I called Jeremy who promptly told me to call the doctor to make sure she didn't have Swine Flu. Stupid swine flu. I told him she didn't have any other symptoms and I'm sure it was just an upset stomach. She was fine the rest of the day, but I fed her and kept her outside just in case. There you have it...another good vomit story to laugh at YEARS down the road. Unless your name is Grandma!

8 comments:

Samantha and Tyrel Ross said...

They can be funny later or in the moment. A few weeks ago I was in GNC and Trip was in the stroller. Well Cooper started to throw a fit so I put him in the stroller and just I picked Trip up he threw up all over the floor and the shelves with soy bars and energy bars. I tried to help the guy clean up as much I could with a winning toddler and another kid in my arms, but he told me just to leave because he would have to take all the shelves apart and clean them I felt so bad, but after I left all I could do was laugh, because I am sure I looked like an out of control mother!!

Marianne said...

Vomit...definitely post worthy.

And definitely disgusting. So sorry you had a double vomit day.

Here's hoping today is vomit free!

Kathy’s Korner said...

Yes, I hope you have a vomit free day, but I still can't help but laugh.

Danielle said...

Hilarious! Well, not hilarious...but hilariously written! I felt like I was actually there! I think I even sympathy gagged!

Sure hope it gets better from here. Stupid swine flu.

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the time we took you & Jeremy to the Sequoias. Maddie threw up all over the car & had to wear your sweatshirt the rest of the day. LOL

Kristi said...

Definitely post-worthy! How else will your kids know that their mother stripped them down and hosed them off in the yard? These are the stories that make life interesting -right?

Lea Ann said...

I am sorry too, because that was funny. I don't envy the car cleaning though. And you must take after Kathy in getting mad at an innocent child for having the nerve of throwing up in a location other than the bathroom. And I remember another time that Cooper threw up in my car after a 24 hour straight drive from my parents house back to Arizona. We were about 40 minutes away from home when he had the nerve to throw up. Man! I was so tired and I just wanted to get home.

Kirk & Heather said...

Bwahahahaha! Kirk and I were on the floor rolling. Sorry it was at your expense, but that is hysterical! Poor Celesty, and poor mom, and poor captains chair. And Alaina's sympathy gag! that is just so funny all around. And I concur, very hilariously written.

Woolite awesome. I'm trying not to use so many exclaimation points, so as not to annoy Jeremy. :)