Monday, February 2, 2009

Birgitta's Most Favoritist Names

Birgitta loves her name.... well, when people get it right. It is pet peeve #1 when it is not pronounced or spelled correctly. Below is a list of names that she has loved and hated over the years. There are probably more....

Correct:
Birgitta - That's her name, don't wear it out!

Acceptable Nicknames:
Birg
Gitta
The Birg
Jerbeeta (Danielle's favorite)
Mujer (My fave)
Beed-geeta (as pronounced by Mom Ware in Spanish)
The Birgness (Kirk's favorite)
Buhgitta (Chase's favorite)

Acceptable but not that common:
Boogereater (Danielle's other favorite)
Birgeet-Denise (more common for Denise, but acceptable)
Miss B
Iceberg
Geet

Unacceptable:
Brigitta
Bregitta
Birgetta
Brigetta
Bir-zjheeta (pronounced Portuguese style)
Bri-zjheeta (same on this one)
Birquitta
Bridgit
Bridgita

And the new all time unacceptable:
Birumphlerpherbllitl (as pronounced by someone who thinks they know her name but gives up right in the middle of trying in fear of getting it wrong.... really, why bother!)

9 comments:

Heather said...

You forgot the Birgness.. Kirk's other favorite!

I'll have to have you pronounce that last one for me the next time we get together.. I couldn't quite make it out. But What's so hard about Birgitta?? come on people!

Danielle said...

Dear Boogereater, Girbitta, Buhgitta (you for got that one from Chase)...so sorry that you have such issues with your name. I think that it is hilarious that there are sooooooooo many options! The nick-names are a plenty for you, girl...sorry that the obnoxious mispronunciations are as well. What spurred this on?! :)

Jeremy said...

Good ones Heather and Danielle. They have been added.

What spurred it on? Birgitta ran into someone who didn't know her very well, the person started to say, "hello, Bir.... but trailed off with an inaudible mumble.

I couldn't stop thinking of all the bad names and spellings... so I posted.

Kimberly said...

Wow! I didn't know there could be so many variations on one name. That's quite the list!! I'm glad you like you're name.

Marianne said...

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Birquitta will always be my favorite. I'll never forget the day that one of the moms at AAK called her that.

Teacher Bir-Queee-Ta

LOL!

Danielle said...

What cracks me up is it's not that hard of a name! Why do people have such an issue?
If a sign of how much you are loved is by how many names you are called, then we must really love Girbitta!
Great post, Yeremy!

Kathy’s Korner said...

Add to all the undesirable names Perkins, Purrins, Parents, and you have a real spine chilling sound!

Anonymous said...

You wouldn't think that much could be done to Denise...BUT I'm often called Dennis, Debbie, Diane. WHAT? Are you even looking at all the letters? Ugh. Weird! My favorite is when people call me Claire, like they can't remember who's the daughter and who's the mother. I love Claire's name. SO, if you going to mess up on my name, call me Claire :-)

Kristi said...

Don't forget the name Erik calls you when you are pregnant... Pregitta!