Saturday, April 30, 2011

Pinewood Derby

How to Build a Pinewood Derby Car:
1. Check the car parts
2. Design your pinewood derby car
3. Cut your block
4. Shape your block
5. Add weights to your car
6. Paint your car
7. Add decals and finishing touches
8. Add wheels and axles

We are pleased to say that Zach made the entire car on his own! It was a good looking car.


Zach loved watching the cars zoom down the track! It was fun to watch the reactions of all the boys racing. Lots of hooting, howling and high fives!

Poor Zach came in 4th place every race. We skipped important step #5. I know, we are amateurs. It's our first pinewood derby!


Zach was a good sport! I was proud of him for not getting too upset for losing. He got an award for "Coolest Design" and received a Twinkie car treat.

His favorite part was racing his car on the track over and over after the competition!

2 comments:

Kathy’s Korner said...

Oh the agony and the ecstasy! I remember those days. Have you seen the movie "pinewood derby". It is put out by some Mormon outfit, it is hilarious! I am proud of Zach and his dad (for not taking over like Ken Nielson, and having to WIN). I don't think any of our kids ever won one race, correct me if I am wrong. I can just see Zach running his car down the track over and over. His is pretty self contained.

Kimberly said...

What fun! That's a good lookin' car. That is such a fun event. I miss doing that! Zach looks like a kid at Christmas, or should I say a boy at the pinewood derby!