Sunday, October 3, 2010

Air Force One

It's been several years since I had gone on a road trip to a BYU game, but I finally decided it was time to go with the Ware boys again. They planned on going to the Air Force game this year and things worked out, so Zach and I packed up our bags and went.

It was a long trip, but we passed the time by eating lots of junk food, driving through long Colorado tunnels and crossing the Great Divide. We paid the price for the junk food later that night. Zach said he didn't feel good. "No biggie," I thought. "He's 8, he'll get over it." Sure enough, he woke up at 1:30 am and puked all over the hotel floor. Not just any puke, it was the heavy, industrial strength stuff that you can't get out of the carpet.

Anyway, after a long, sleepless night, we got up, ate breakfast, hooked up with an old Ware family friend who had gone to the academy, and he took us to the base. We headed straight for the visitor's center to load up on Air Force gear.


After the visitor's center we went to the stadium and settled in. We got there an hour early thinking there was going to be a special pre-game presentation for 9/11. We had some snacks (what, more snacks?) took some pics, watched the warm-ups and waited for the show.


To be honest, I am not sure if there was a special presentation or not. There was a lot of chatter over the PA (who can hear what they are saying over those things anyway?). They did have some police and fire guests with 9/11 ties, though, I did catch that much. But I will say this, they marched out all the cadets on the field before the game and that was impressive.


At half time they unfurled a huge flag, very impressive also.


Zach and I spent most of the third quarter in line at the ONLY concession stand on our side of the stadium, only to find out they didn't have any licorice, no ice cream, and the M&M's were gone. AAARRGHH! We did find a fruit smoothie of some kind from an outside vendor (can you say E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E?). Zach sucked that down as if it were the last one on earth.


We did get the coveted picture of Cosmo with the two boys. Awesome!

Oh yah, there was a football game in there somewhere. We learned that BYU is not as good as we thought they were. They are young, inexperienced, injured, and the score reflected it as Air Force won handily.


Zach has a new hobby, he likes to collect plastic bottle lids from things like the milk jugs and water bottles. He calls them "lifies" because they float in water like a boat and can "save lives." I encouraged him once to try to collect 1000. My mistake. The empty stands of a recently vacated football stadium is nothing short of a Lifie gold mine. Just try get past all the germs and diseases and filth...... keep trying..... keep.... trying..... there you go. It's a fun hobby for the boy.


All in all it was a great trip and we had a good time. Beside BYU losing, it was fun to go the Air Force Academy, see the base and campus and come home with a bunch of Air Force garb. And it was great to have Zach go with us. In spite of the fact that BYU has lost every road game I have ever gone to, I hope there are many more trips in the future.

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Great post! It made me think that we could have met you there! It's about halfway between here and Utah. So, I'm wondering about your post title... were you meaning to imply Air Force Won? If so, that's clever. If not, that's still clever. :) And, if BYU loses every away game you attend then you better stop going. I'm a Cubs fan and superstitious like that ya know.

Jeremy said...

Yah, I am getting to be superstitious about it. Jon thinks I am a curse, for sure.

Birgitta and I had a few discussions about the title. I did want to imply that Air Force won the game using the play on words. I originally had "Air Force Won" but she said it didn't work that way. So I went with One, she was right. :)

Jeremy said...

....stupid google..... also, i didnt realize it was halfway. maybe we could plan a trip like that sometime.