This spring term I have been taking HLTH 460 - Substance Use and Addictive Behavior. It has been a difficult class, but yet it has been my favorite class at BYU. I have learned a great deal about drug and alcohol abuse, different types of drugs, the effects of drugs on society and families, the treatments and education programs available, parenting prevention and MUCH MORE.
Did anyone know that Utah ranks #1 in PRESCRIPTION DRUG ABUSE? Think about it! There are also links that lead pain medication to illicit drug use: Get pain medication from doc TO Scamming doc to get more TO Buying from dealer or stealing TO buying cheaper drugs like Heroin.
Scary! I'll tell ya what, I am MORE afraid for my children now than ever before.
After reading Danielle's blog entry,"More Bubble Wrap, Please." I had to post this handout that was given to me in class yesterday. I want to ENLARGE it, make a POSTER out of it, LAMINATE it, and POST it across my walls!!
I believe these suggestions would not only help prevent alcohol and drug abuse, but it would also help prevent other dangerous behaviors.
Parenting for Drug Prevention:
1. Have a Happy Stable Marriage
2. Spend Time with Children, Quantity vs. Quality
3. Strong Values, Clear Rules & Guidelines
4. Check Up On Your Kids, Know Where They Are, Wait Up
5. Understand the Difference between Discipline and Punishment - Be Positive
6. Put Some Holes in Your Kid’s Life Raft (work ethic; earn own money)
7. Church, Activity, Seminary
8. FHE, Scripture Reading
9. Set Example, Alcohol, Tobacco, Medications
10. Limit Television
11. Push Academics, Talent Development
12. Know Friends of Your Children, Positive Interaction
13. Family Dinner Institutionalized
14. Allow Freedom, Praise Responsible Decisions
15. Common Interests, Hobbies
16. Sense of Humor
17. Strong Links to Extended Family
18. Talk About Substance Abuse
19. Drug Abuse Prevention Starts on Day One
20. Be There When They Need You
Parents Empowered:
1. Parents are the biggest influence in their teenagers’ lives. Don’t rationalize “kids will be kids.” “There is nothing I can do.”
2. Do the things that build a strong, loving relationship with your child.
3. Have clear, firm rules regarding ATOD and other behavior.
4. Monitor your child’s activities. Check up on them. Be a parent who enforces the rules.
Logan Turned 3
11 years ago



2 comments:
Thank you so much. This is a great post, with the best advise out ther. I am glad you have that class. I am with you, I want to post in on my Fridge....oh wait, my kids are raised. But I still want to be an awesome grandmother. I am so thankful that my grandchildren live in homes like the ones on your post and that they have awesome parents who care. Love you lots.
I think I will print it, laminate it and post it as well! Great rules to live by and great arrows in your quiver. We need all the help we can get!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment